Many used cars are bought, sold, and traded each year. Consumers often wonder if they should look in the classified ads for a sale by owner, go to a used car lot, or go to a dealership. The decision on where to buy a vehicle is rarely an easy one. Here are some of the pros, cons, and differences of each used car sales option:
From the Owner
This is often the cheapest way to buy a car. In many instances, the owner just wants to get rid of the vehicle in question. There are benefits to buying from the owner, such as a lower price and the freedom to haggle; however, the risks usually outweigh the rewards. A few considerations are as follows:
* The owner may or may not allow a test drive. If he or she does not, it is not recommended to buy the car.
* The owner may be dishonest about the car’s history or problems that may not be immediately noticeable upon inspection.
* Once the car is sold, that’s it. It’s yours. There is no warranty on an auto sale by owner.
From the Used Car Lot
Another option is to buy from a used car lot. These small lots are the coin slot machines of used car sales. They are often family-owned and their credibility varies. Here are a few problems to look out for:
* Some lots are honest. Some are not. It’s a coin toss every time.
* These lots often perform only a bare minimum of inspection before putting the car up for sale.
* Prices at these dealerships can be outrageous. Appraisals are often sloppy.
From the Dealership
This is probably the safest way to buy a used vehicle. Why?
* Each used car is thoroughly inspected before it is sold.
* Most cars come with warranties that last many years.
* Cars are fixed and tuned up before they are sold.
* Some dealerships have a return or trade-in policy in place.
These facts are simply some of the basics of used car sales. Inexpensive options often come at the cost of buyer security. Whatever you do, when you go to buy a car, always be sure to make the right choice. For more information visit www.saybrookford.com. You can connect with them on Facebook for more updates!
Be the first to like.